Links

Sunday 1 April 2018

Otaku Collection 2018: February/March Update | More Anime Imports & More PlayStation 3 Games

It's been almost two years since I last had an update where I merged the months together for one single update. In this instance I only acquired two titles for the month of February and felt it wasn't enough to make a monthly update for it so here we are with an update on both February & March.


For this update we have 3 anime box sets, and 5 video games.


February 2018 | #01 | Yuri!!! on ICE
The first item of the February haul is Yuri!!! on ICE. I watched the series during its simulcast and enjoyed it to some extent. When it was revealed that both Keijo & YOI were due on the same day I gambled on YOI going out of print first and that turned out to be the case.

The set itself is well done and has some good value to it. This was also my first order through DeepDiscount and it shipped without any issues.

You can view the unboxing here.


February 2018 | #02 | Keijo!!!!!!!!
Next we have the second & last item from the February haul with Keijo. After ordering YOI I decided to wait and see how long the series' limited edition set would last and it's still around to this date. A couple days later DeepDiscount then started another discount sale and I used it on Keijo as the UK rate improved for importing.

The set is much smaller than I expected but that's because they added a calendar that doesn't fit in the box. The show itself I enjoyed a lot and it fits under what I like to call the 'Enjoyable Trash' group where you understand it's not amazing but is entertaining enough to have some form of enjoyment (a recent example is Killing Bites).

You can view the unboxing here.


March 2018 | #01 | Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
The first item of the March haul is a series that I have actually been meaning to acquire for a few years now. I decided to opt for the Sentai version because I wanted some consistency with the Sentai limited editions I already own so far (nothing wrong with MVM's release it's just how I roll). And for the first time in years it actually went on sale for a solid price thanks to Robert's Anime Corner Store and their Amazon listing - $34.98.

The set arrived without any issue and it managed to fit on the shelf with the other Sentai sets thankfully. The difference between this & MVM's release is the inclusion of the hardcover booklet and a poster.

You can view the unboxing here.


March 2018 | #02 | Operation PlayStation 3 Haul Stage 6
The final haul of the month is a surprising one actually. I haven't picked up any PS3 games since late November time and since then I decided to conclude Stage 5 of my PS3 haul due to the lack of new additions. I did plan on importing some Japanese games but I changed plans at the last minute in favour of Corpse Party: Blood Drive due to physical copies going rare.

This update is a unique one because I have officially decided to accept the original PS3 border style cases. These are the games released between launch and around 2009 that had Sony's spider-man style font for their console. They are not consistent with the current banner which is why I didn't want to pickup any, however I found four games in GAME for really cheap prices - heck one of them is actually pretty rare to own. The games I acquired were as follows:

Agarest: Generations of War
Also known in North America & on Steam as Record of Agarest War, this is a long RPG developed by Idea Factory and Europe is the only English territory to release the game physically. In addition the European version doesn't have trophies while the digital release in the US does. It was being sold for £1.49.

Folklore
One of the early titles from Sony and Japan Studios. This game is one of the rarest titles on the platform and I found it for £14.99 in solid condition (manual and all).

God of War: Ascension
Considering I played a bit of this instalment back when I was in University and I already played the HD collection for the first two games I figured I'll try out the prequel title before jumping into the PS4 releases of God of War. The game was always cheap to acquire, going for £4.99.

Heavenly Sword
Another early title from Sony, this time developed by Ninja Theory. This game is still around but most of the copies I've seen were still from its original print. Like Agarest, the game was being sold for as low as £1.49.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
Also known as Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire in US, Target in Sight is the first Gundam title to be released on PS3 and the only non-Dynasty Warriors title to be localised during the seventh generation until Gundam Breaker 3 on PS4. This title is notable for being poorly optimised and considered one of the weaker games based on the Gundam IP. I was curious about it and it was only £1.49 so I decided to pick it up.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
One of the main titles I have been meaning to acquire for the PS3 is Ni no Kuni, which has been going up in price lately. This PS3 instalment is a remake of the DS release and has been well-received by many fans and critics. I acquired it for £12.99.

And thus that concludes the titles I have acquired for the months of February & March. I know progress has been slow lately and unfortunately it's too be expected but there has been some positive stuff going on for me personally. Stuff like managing to get a job interview (though unsuccessful but still helps give me confidence that I can still get them at my current situation) and my driving lessons are going well.

I would also want to bring up that as of February 2018 I am now part of the Amazon Affiliate programme, which means that all links to Amazon for various listings will help support my hobby from here on. This will be used on the blog and social media a lot, and older unboxings will be updated to include links when available. I don't expect a lot of people to click them but one purchase makes a difference. Amazon US & Japan links won't be included due to region locking reasons on the programme.

As for the Operation PlayStation 3 Haul, there are now 22 games left to acquire. Prior to accepting the earlier games I actually struggled on what games to acquire but now I have a better range to get. Here's the list that I'm considering so far:

Original Spider-man border titles:
- Afro Samurai
- Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
- Eternal Sonata
- Katamari Forever

Current border titles:
- Lolipop Chainsaw
- Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord

Japanese import titles:
- Another Century Episode R
- Gal*Gun
- Mobile Suit Gundam UC
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories
- Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen
- Onechanbara Z Kagura: with Nonono!
- Sakigake!! Otoko Juku: Nihonyo Korega Otoko Dearu
- Vampire Resurrection (Darkstalkers Resurrection)
- Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition

More titles will be considered later down the line.

That's all for this monthly collection update, stay tuned for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive