Links

Friday 1 September 2017

Otaku Collection 2017: August Update | Taking a Break from Anime for More Games

The month of August has been a slow trend, two items were expected to arrive but ended up being delayed to September, and I decided to focus more on building my PlayStation collection!


For this update I have 1 anime title, 1 live-action asian cinema title and 11 video games.


#01 | Killzone 3, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, and SSX
Last month I started Stage 4 of Operation PlayStation 3 Haul, and due to delays with the VideoGamesPlus package I decided to see if there were any other games I could pickup that were pre-owned and also cheap. I discovered three that I wanted to own in CeX for about £10.50 in total. At the time of this post I haven't started Killzone 3 and MotorStorm: Apocalypse (but I have played both while I was at University) but I did finish SSX as I really enjoyed playing the game when I once rented it from Lovefilm for Xbox 360.


#02 | ERASED Part 1
The only anime of the month goes to an early bird order from Anime Limited with ERASED's first part or volume. I decided to go for this because the price's SRP is really high and considering I didn't mind the show I figured I'll get Part 1 now since it won't be cheap for a while. The packaging is really good but I don't feel that it's worth the asking SRP.

You can view the unboxing here.


#03 | The Handmaiden
Been a while since I last purchased a live-action asian cinema movie so when I was at Sheffield for a job interview (which I didn't get sadly), this film came out and it has been on my watch-list for a couple of months. The Handmaiden is from the director of Oldboy so it caught my attention. Haven't yet watched it because I was busy trying to get through my anime backlog for the entire month, but I do have both the Theatrical and Director's Cut versions.

You can view the unboxing here.


#04 | Wangan Midnight
Decided to pickup another Japanese import before the rate spiked up and I went for an old racing game from the PS3 launch - Wangan Midnight. I actually bought the game used because the prices for the new copies were rather expensive so I assume it is going to go out of print now. Played a bit of it (see above as to where my time has been spent) and it's quite good.

You can view the unboxing here.


#05 | Killzone Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice, and Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Felt a bit down at one point and decided to venture into GAME and they had a bunch of pre-owned Vita games on a 3 for 2 deal. The game that caught my attention was actually Soul Sacrifice because I wanted a physical copy but not from North America due to DLC, so I went for it alongside Killzone and Uncharted, both of which have also been well-received for the device.


#06 | Drakengard 3 and Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
These two took literally a month to arrive. Basically what happened was Sengoku Basara was listed as in stock but was actually out of stock. But VGP notified me that more stock was incoming so I waited, and after two weeks it finally shipped. Wait another two weeks and they arrived. Drakengard 3 was one of the first games I wanted to own when I first started trying to get as many PS3 games as I could earlier in the year but I was too late because the game went out of print and prices spiked. It was only until recently that it got restocked alongside the original NieR game that I was able to finally pick it up.

You can view the unboxings for the following here:
 - Drakengard 3


#07 | Gal*Gun: Double Peace
This one is an annoying case. Long story short I ordered the PS4 version and ended up with the Vita version. It was bank holiday weekend so I would have had to wait ages to get a response so I decided there was no point considering it was cheap. Sadly the Vita version suffers from poor framerate issues, making the game pretty tedious to play as a result, but thankfully the game supports cross-save so I can transfer progress to the PS4 version when I can. But yeah I do plan to own the PS4 version but I'll probably wait it out in case a super sale occurs or something.

You can view the unboxing here.


#08 | Sonic Generations
To conclude my Stage 4 Operation PS3 Haul I needed one more game. After looking forward I narrowed it down to Sonic Generations, and this is an interesting one because Generations is reportedly the last good Sonic game before Sonic Mania (and I believe Sonic Colors came out around the same time). It was cheap to acquire thankfully so I'm looking forward to playing a Sonic game in years.

----

That's it for the August 2017 haul.

The limited edition release of Monster Musume: Everyday Life with Monster Girls did arrive on the same day that I post this collection update. In addition Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash! is now due for 22nd September 2017 so it could arrive early or on the same day.

No other items have been pre-ordered or set in stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive