Links

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Unboxing [US]: Shakugan no Shana - Season 1: S.A.V.E. (BD/DVD)

A particular Super Amazing Value Edition has entered my collection but this time it's not like any other.


Shakugan no Shana is a well known action supernaturnal (with romance later in the franchise) series. The show aired back in 2005 (season ended in 2006) and is based on the light novel of the same name. The series continued on with another two seasons, an OVA series and a movie.

The Funimation release contains the English and Japanese audio with optional English subtitles (not locked) for the Japanese version. The standard edition is still around for a little while longer so Funimation have re-released the franchise in S.A.V.E. formats which reduces the cost of the set but gives it a mixed feel when placed on the shelf (thanks to the yellow strip). The S.A.V.E. edition for Shana Season 1 is the first in a very long time that retains the original Blu-ray sized case and packaging and instead uses a slipcover for the S.A.V.E. strip. Unfortunately this only applied to this set, as Season 2 doesn't have the same effect (and neither does the other releases after). The case uses the same existing discs as before, containing 3 for Blu-ray and 4 for DVD.


BD Language: English, Japanese
BD Video: 1080p SD Remaster (Upscale) 16:9 ratio
BD Audio: English Dolby TrueHD 2.0, Japanese Dolby TrueHD 2.0
BD Subtitles: English (Japanese Dub with S.T. & L.), English (Sign Translations and Lyrics)
BD Region: A
BD Discs: 3
BD Defects: None

DVD Language: English, Japanese
DVD Video: SD NTSC Colour 16:9 ratio
DVD Audio: English Stereo 2.0, Japanese Stereo 2.0
DVD Subtitles: English (Japanese Dub with S.T. & L.), English (Sign Translations and Lyrics)
DVD Region: 1
DVD Discs: 4
DVD Defects: None

Anime Summary:
From the studio behind Toradora! and Okami-san and Her Seven Companions comes the iconic series centered around the heated bond and supernatural battles of two friends from two very different worlds.

Wielding a blazing sword, Shana is a fiery huntress whose sole purpose is to fight demon-like beings that consume human lives. To reduce the impact on the human realm, Shana turns the slain into shadows of their former selves. Once a flame that represents their remaining life goes out, they fade from existence. This should be Yuji’s fate, but when he discovers he holds a special power that ignites a newfound strength in Shana, they join forces in her ongoing mission to maintain the balance between the ordinary world and the supernatural.

Extras (On-Disc):
Naze Nani Shana [Why? What? Shana!] Episodes 1-8
Shana-tan Episodes 1-2
Textless Songs
Trailers


Shakugan no Shana Season 1 is available from Funimation (US), Sony Universal (Australia) and MVM Entertainment (UK) and Madman. Blu-ray version is not available in the UK.

6 comments:

  1. What's the video quality like? Cuz I know FUNi can pull off a decent upscale (Fairy Tail)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty average but it's not a terrible upscale (I hear Claymore was worse). You can tell it's an upconversion from Standard Definition since the Geneon text in the opening/ending look stretched and there's quite a lot of blur in some bits. But I haven't compared the show with the DVD version yet though. Blu-ray site have some good screenshots - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shakugan-no-Shana-Season-1-Blu-ray/45383/

      Delete
    2. Not bad, not bad, based on the screenshots the reviewer was a bit harsh easily a 2.5-3/5.
      waiting for S3, the move and OVA's to hit the SAVE line before hitting this up :P

      Man, I dunno how you can afford all these titles when your a student yourself lol

      Delete
    3. I can see Season 3 hitting the SAVE line in the Winter season (it did get released in March 2013 with a standard Part 1 available). The Film & OVA are at a good price range so I don't see them getting a SAVE release anytime (they each cost as much as Season 1 SAVE).

      As for the whole affording thing, I will admit I am rather lucky but I did budget throughout my first year (and the finance gave me more than the average so I was able to get whatever as long as I have enough for food within that quarter) and the last additional finance part gave me so much and I only had about 5 weeks of Uni, which gave me an opportunity to get as much as I could. Of course the downside is having to pay them back but as long as I can get into my career it's not an issue (I hear it goes with the tax payment).

      Hope that didn't go off in a bad/selfish way, that does happen sometime and people get the wrong idea about me. If I started getting into anime years before 2012 I wouldn't have to be in this mess haha.

      Delete
    4. I've been doing the same here lol, granted I didn't take much out only requested a grand out of the three the offered, split between 3 terms so £333 a term for the upcoming second year but I live at home so food etc isn't a problem and I don't go out partying etc, I just prefer a quiet time at home watching anime haha :P.

      Although the bus passes have gone up for £128 to £146 grr.

      Delete
    5. Haha, I also didn't go out partying so that was another way of saving cash (instead getting stuck in the middle of one dozens of times in the accommodation). I'm getting less in the 2nd Year so I hope I can get all of the remaining Funimation LEs before it ends.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive