Links

Thursday 1 May 2014

Otaku Collection 2014: April Update | Japanese PS3 Imports and BERSERK!!!!

It's time for the April collection update! Let's see what I have to show you all this time.



Before I mention what I got each time, I should note that I received the second colour edition of High School of the Dead months before April. Originally supposed to be an Xmas gift, Amazon delayed the package by a month and when it arrived I was already back at University.

Pickup 1 - Blood-C: The Last Dark
Starting off the month was Manga Entertainment UK's latest Limited Edition package and only available in HMV stores. Since I have yet to own the TV series, I can't watch The Last Dark until then. It's a nice set but it's a terrible marketing scheme for the company.

Unboxing - Blood-C: The Last Dark (Limited Edition UK)

Pickup 2 - PS3 Import #1: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
An unexpected turn of events thanks to Amazon Prime, I was able to own a Japanese import for the first time in my gaming collection (aside from the downloads like Mario's Super Picross & Sin and Punishment on the Nintendo Wii service). The game is really fun and so great that I eventually bought the sequel later in the month.

Pickup 3 - Volume 4 of Blue Exorcist & Yotsuba&!
Needed to continue my manga reading so I bought the next volumes I needed for Blue Exorcist and Yotsuba&! Both were a great read and I still want to continue getting the rest sometime.

Pickup 4 - 13 Assassins & Zatoichi Steelbooks
It was planned but I had to get it eventually, I bought the steelbooks to 13 Assassins and Zatoichi in HMV for a bargain price of £12.99 each (in contrast to £19.99 on Amazon). I already own 13 Assassins in it's standard Blu-ray form but Artifical Eye's packaging wasn't great to have on the shelf so thankfully the steelbook solved the problem with the correct spine and design.

Unboxing - 13 Assassins: Steelbook (Limited Edition)
Unboxing - Zatoichi: Steelbook (Limited Edition)

Pickup 5 - Berserk & Higurashi manga volumes
I wanted it and I got it. I finally own the first arc of Berserk. The anime was amazing and I just wanted to know what happens after that (the anime is the second arc but the first arc is the first few volumes in release order). I also picked up the third arc of Higurashi with the Curse Killing scenario.

Pickup 6 - PS3 Games: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure & Short Peace
I wanted to own more games so I hopped into Game and picked up two new titles published by Bandai Namco. These two games were given limited physical releases so I just had to own them before they end up digital only. JoJo: All Star Battle may have flopped in Japan but here with the western version certain issues were resolved and the game is fun to play. The controls may feel rather basic in comparison to complicated fighters like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat but the game's visual makes up for it. Short Peace on the other hand is basically 80% anime and 20% video game. The UK version was given the entire anthology in one package while North America wasn't able to because Sentai Filmworks licensed the movies. The game is great as well.


Pickup 7 - PS3 Import #2 & #3: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd & J-Stars Victory Vs.
While they were planned I was not expecting them to be already in the UK zone at this time of day, like Diva F I was able to purchase both games instantly and have them on my post box the next day. Diva F 2nd unfortunately was the Region 3 asian version and not the original Region 2 Japanese release so the case doesn't line up perfectly with the first game but the disc content is the game. J-Stars on the other hand is the Region 2 version thankfully since I spent more on that game than the other one. J-Stars wasn't going to get localised due to licensing restrictions so I took the simple route. The game is slightly repetitive but rewarding in the end (more playable characters woot!).

Pickup 8 - Eureka Seven: Part 1 on Blu-ray, Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning & Tenjo Tenge Uncut manga volume
Final pickup of the month is Eureka Seven's Limited Edition artbox set, Tiger & Bunny Movie 1 Limited Edition digipack set and the first 2-in-1 uncut Viz signature release of Tenjo Tenge. Eureka Seven took weeks to arrive which was rather annoying and was hoping it would arrive for the easter break (hence then I bought other stuff to make up some time). Tiger & Bunny was planned all along and I eventually went for the store pickup than going online (due to numerous packages which could piss off the reception at my accommodation). And Tenjo is an extra read for the fun of it.



So that's it for April. You can check out the post here for what I have in store for the entirety of May.

As for the second quarter, there's some important changes being made to my pickups:
 - Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition has been delayed to August due to an artbook design approval.
 - Patema Inverted: Ultimate Edition will be added to my collection once the kickstarter is live.
 - Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari Black & White will be ordered sometime after May time.
 - The Q3 schedule has yet to appear for the UK releases so I can't guarantee what items I might add during the next few months. The MVM items that I did consider will be forgotten due to inferior cover design and some minor issues.

That's it folks I'll have an unboxing of Strike Witches sometime this week or next week depending on the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive